Thursday, December 10, 2015

Rode Tails - Musical Visitors chapter sample

Musical Visitors

E
ventually, I discovered that my dad knew a bunch of musicians. There came an era in our household on Bartholomew in the Desire neighborhood of New Orleans that I realized that some of these card playing people were quite gifted musicians, singers, and entertainers.
                There was an old WWII Army buddy of my dad named Louis Jones. The guy was way older than my dad, loved to play cards, bullshit, drink beer, tell stories – often he’d ask my mother to cover my young ears – and jokes. I loved the guy. He was great to me and always brought me peppermint candies.

                Apparently, my dad had saved Mr. Jones’ life during some battle during World War II. They were in the same outfit in Germany in 1944. My dad seldom talked about the war, nor did he boast of any heroism. But it was obvious that Mr. Jones held him in high regard.  
~~~
                Years later, my dad whooped at our black & white TV as his old Army buddy appeared on a new show. Mr. Jones looked exactly the same as I remembered and he played the same song: That Good Ole Mountain Dew. We were back on the res by that time and I recall clearly my dad saying, “That’s my old buddy, Louis. He was at least 10 years older than the rest of us and woke up grumpy every morning earning him the nickname of Grandpa.”
                The show was Hee Haw. We never missed an episode. It was clear that my dad felt great pride in his buddy. He also loved Buck Owens and Roy Clark. I dug both cats too, even though it wasn’t cool at the time among my peers. I am currently working up an album of Buck Owens covers. The guy was fun!     
~~~
That became a recurring theme in my life: the best musicians, performers, and entertainers that I played with were people that most have never heard of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment