Friday, December 25, 2015

Reconnections

One of the greatest joys in life is reconnecting with friends that you haven't seen for years, or decades.

Musician friend, Chuck E - lead guitarist for Woody & The Peckers, works as the stage manager for the Springing the Blues Festival held annually at the Seawalk Pavilion about 500 feet from the Atlantic Ocean.

Chuck called me down to the Fest telling me that I had to see blues guitarist Michael Burks. "He's got a Hammond B3 player that's a real motherfucker... Not as good you," he added.

So, I headed down to the Fest getting there about a half hour before Burks was to begin his show. I saw Chuck onstage and a familiar body and face sitting at the Hammond.

Chuck hollered out, "Wayne, I've got somebody I want you to meet."

"Please tell me it ain't that tall Indian motherfucker!" Wayne exclaimed.

I walked onto the stage and stuck out my hand with a big grin on my face, "Wayne Sharp, how have you been, old friend?"

"Armond, is that really you. Holy fuck, it's been a few decades," said Wayne.

Chuck looked puzzled, "You guys know each other?"

"We played in competing bands on the Gulf Coast back in the 70's. I stole most of my best licks from Wayne."

"Yeah, right," Wayne deferred. "You were The Man! What are you doing these days?"

"I'm playing with Chuck E and an Irishman named Spade McQuade. I see that you're riding high, man."

"Yeah, I've been lucky." It was the same humble Wayne I remembered from our Biloxi/Gulfport days. He always belittled his talents.

Wayne and I grew up 70 miles apart, he in Gulfport and me in New Orleans. We shared the same influences. Had probably been to many of the same concerts. I know that we were both at the Mississippi John Hurt concert with our dad's shortly before the great blues man's death.

We had that traditional brothers-from-another-mother connection. And we both played the Chitlin' Circuit in the 70's.

"Have you seen Eddie or Joey lately," I asked.

"I saw Eddie Moody yesterday. We even talked about you. Wondering what happened to you."

"How about Joey Simonetti?"

"Sorry, man, he died a few years back," Wayne reported.

"That sucks," I responded. "And David. Still alive?"

"Yeah, but he's not doing well. Has cancer."

"Fuck, not him too?"

"Sad to say."

We caught up on all of our old buddies. Wayne came over that night to smoke, eat boiled shrimp, and reminisce. We've been in nearly constant contact ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment