Friday, December 18, 2015

Physical Therapy Graduate

I just graduated from physical therapy. It has been three long, arduous months since they ripped me open, yanked out my liver and stitched in a new one. Today is graduation day.

In my initial evaluation I was unable to stand with my feet together for more than 5 seconds without tipping over. My 6 minute walk carried me a mere 40 meters with frequent rest stops. It took a crane to get me out of a chair. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without the aid of a Rollator (4-wheel leaning device). I couldn't turn without nearly falling.

Today, I stood with my feet together for beyond 1 minute. I traveled 500 meters on my 6 minute walk with no rest stops. I stood up from a chair without aid or using my arms 5 times one after the other. I walked around the facility 5 times on my own. I turned I spun. I dodged barriers. I nailed every physical test presented. My therapist called my progress "significant". I call it spectacular.

The progress took a bunch of work and the guidance of my physical therapist, Lauren Surdyke. Lauren guided me through a series of varied exercises that she custom designed to fit my physical needs. She listened intently as I described the challenges that I face daily. She encouraged me constantly, pushed me to reach for me, and, to my mind, worked miracles.

I trusted my life to Lauren Surdyke. She changed my life forever. I'll never be able to thank her enough, though I'll never stop trying.

It is a great day to be alive!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment