Saturday, December 19, 2015

New Diet - Basic Vegetable Stock

I am feeling so much better on my new diet. I wish I had switched years ago. Better late than never?

I'm building a simple vegetable stock today. Hands-off cooking serves me best. About once per hour I get up from writing to stretch my legs. Perfect timing for stirring the pot when I'm done stirring the metaphorical pot through my writing.

At last break, I cut two onions in half and placed them on a cookie sheet. They looked lonely so I brought in their friends' carrot and celery. 4 carrots - 5 celery sticks. I popped them into a 400 degree oven. I'm roasting them.

On my next break I plan to filled a stock pot with water, put it on high on the stove, plop the roasted vegetables into the water and wait for it to boil. I did a scientific experiment earlier in the week. I filled a sauce pan with water and watched it until it boiled. So much for that old bullshit that a watched pot never boils. I watched it and it did.

Fresh rosemary, thyme, and basil from our herb garden will add aromatics to the broth and a little cayenne, white pepper, and black pepper will add spice.

That's it. Let it simmer for a couple of hours and then strain the broth into a large container. Allow the liquid to cool and refrigerate. I use the stock nearly daily so I know I'll be making more in a few days.

Without meat, I'm feeling lighter and the grumbling in my lower intestines have subsided.

I have the sincere feeling that I'm adding years to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment