Thursday, January 14, 2016

Easy Marinara Sauce

I'm visiting folks that I've known since 1965. They live in the coolest never-heard-of town on the Gulf Coast and they aim to keep it that way so I won't divulge the town's name. The area hasn't changed much since my first tour visit when I met them. I was playing a local honky tonk where underage could drink and party freely. We did a lot of that and they hooked me up with a beautiful young gal who has remained a close friend ever since.
They took me back to their house after a gig. We were all hungry. They had nothing prepared and everything was closed by that hour. I offered to whip something up if I could scan their cupboards where I found enough ingredients to build a marinara sauce. The result was spectacular. I've been making this sauce since that night.
The ingredients were onions, green pepper, garlic, country sausage, and canned tomatoes. I chopped the onions, green pepper, and garlic into a fry pan with olive oil. Those were sauteed until the onion became translucent. That leaves the green peppers a little crunchy, which adds texture to the dish. I added these to a larger pot containing a large can of chopped tomatoes, a large can of tomato sauce, and a small can of stewed tomatoes. Herbs complimented the flavors with oregano, basil, tarragon, and rosemary. I simmered the pot for a half hour while we drank a beer and smoked a bowl to enhance the dining experience.
Pasta boiled to al dente and we were ready to eat.
I build more complex sauces when time and ingredients permit. I also build simpler sauces using fresh tomatoes and herbs from my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment