Monday, January 11, 2016

Cold Day Indoor Actvity

Cold days are great days to turn on the oven. Well, duh? 

Today's activity includes roasting, boiling, and baking. It will warm up my house, my body, and my soul. 

First off, I placed 6 stalks of celery, 5 large carrots, and 2 large quartered onions onto a baking sheet. Next, the sheet was placed in a 350 degree oven to roast the vegetables. Roasting the veggies brings out their true robust flavor. 

Third, I poured hot water into a large stock pot and set on a burner on high to boil. This adds warm humidity to the air to mix with the oven warmth. 

Fourth step is to begin making bread. I've developed a time-tested technique that usually produces great results. Occasionally, it fails, but is still tasty though flat. 

Set the oven to 375. Pour 2 cups of warm water (120 degrees) into a large mixing bowl. Stir in one packet of yeast until it dissolves completely. Add 2 tbsp of sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tbsp vegetable oil into the mixture. Stir thoroughly. Slowly add 3 cups of flour, stirring constantly until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl. Keep adding 1 tbsp of flour at a time until the right consistency is reached. 

Flour a large, long surface. Dump the dough onto the surface and knead, turning constantly (the dough, not you). Add flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl. Flip it over (the dough, not the bowl). Place a towel over the bowl and place it in a warm spot. 

Remember that this is a cold day. My kitchen was cold, about 63 degrees, so I had nowhere warm to set the bread. One trick is to place a cup of water in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, then place the covered bowl in the microwave. But, I hate microwaves so I put a small pot upside down over the burner where the oven vents. The bowl with dough went on top. This way the dough is warmed but not cooked. 

I let the dough rise for an hour, then returned the dough to the board for more kneading and flowering. Next, I formed the dough into a loaf and slid it into a glass loaf pan. Aluminum pans works also and are much cheaper, but I prefer non-toxic glass. 

And the covered loaf pan went back to the warm spot for 30 minutes after which I sliced the top and placed it in the 375 degree oven. 35 minutes later I removed golden brown bread from the oven. 

My activity warmed me, exercised my arms and hands, warmed the kitchen, and filled the house with the great smell of fresh bread. 

The vegetable stock will simmer overnight and through tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment