Thursday, June 12, 2014

CNN - The Sixties

"If you remember the Sixties you weren't there," claims Grace Slick.
I grew up in the Sixties and I do remember those years. They were the years that influenced me more than any decade in my life. I spent time in the Haight in 1968 in a haven of young hippie gals that shared a dishevelled mansion on Ashbury. I was so involved that I missed my turn with Grace Slick. Reportedly, I was the only musician in the Bay Area that didn't bang her that year.
I wasn't a hippie, though I did enjoy their drugs and women. I have always considered myself a beatnik - either the youngest of the Original Beats or the first of the New Beat Generation. Hippies read as false then as they do now. Peace and Love. Great sentiments for children books but excruciatingly naïve, even for teenagers of that day.
CNN has produced a series that tugs at the memories of septuagenarians about that enigmatic time in their lives that is quite compelling.
Tonight's episode energizes the inertia that propels conspiracy theorists concerning the assassination of John F. Kennedy. I am not a conspiracy theorist. I am certain that Carlos Marcello ordered the murder of the President. Carlos was the Don of the original Mafia in America that controlled the New Orleans area. Oswald worked for the Marcello organization. Most everybody in the Mississippi Delta region worked for Marcello indirectly. I was 10 years old at the time, living in the Desire neighbourhood of New Orleans. I don't recall anyone having a doubt that Marcello, who was attending a deportation hearing at the time of the assassination initiated by US Attorney General Robert F Kennedy. Carlos solved his immigration issues by "cutting the head off the chicken". Case closed.




No comments:

Post a Comment